On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:49:56PM -0400, Chris Moller wrote:
> I've been scratching my head for a bit on some other way to provide
> user-space access to utrace.  Three things occurred to me:
>
>   1. A systemtap-like approach.
>   2. A whole new syscall, SYS_utrace or some such.
>   3. An extension of ptrace.

Extending ptrace seems like a sad idea.  If Linux is going to grow a
new userspace-accessible debug interface, can't it go in /proc or
something?

The single biggest pain in GDB's process management is dealing with
signals, especially the ways that ptrace interferes with normal
operation.

But I don't have any context; I don't know what you're adding...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery