On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:30:03PM -0400, Chris Moller wrote:
>> Extending ptrace seems like a sad idea.  If Linux is going to grow a
>> new userspace-accessible debug interface, can't it go in /proc or
>> something?
>>

> Actually, that's exactly what utracer does.  It's a module that creates
> an entries under /proc (/proc/utracer/*) that client apps can
> read()/write()/ioctl() to access utracer capabilities.  Maybe the coolest
> thing about utracer is that it gave every app its own /proc entry that
> blocked on read() until an app-defined "interesting" thing happened:
> specified signals, task state changes, specified syscall entry/exit, all
> the stuff accessible through utrace report_* callbacks.

So, how'd it demise in a way that a syscall interface would be any
better?  This sounds like the right way to do it (barring scaling
details; maintining one fd per thread becomes impractical).

Side note: every time someone talks about a ptrace replacement I
suggest stealing one from Solaris :-) It seems one of the areas that
Sun thought out properly, although in my limited brushes with it in
the last year I'm becoming less convinced of that.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery