I did some tweaks that I think address the several things you've raised.
But I didn't try to reply point by point.  I've merged everything up now,
so the utrace-cleanup branch is gone.  Please review the current code and
post about anything we still need to fix.

I merged into utrace-ptrace and did the trivial hack to handle
UTRACE_SYSCALL_RESUMED.  Later we probably want to change this to some
smarter handling so that ptrace doesn't report until other engines have
finished their fiddling and let the thread resume.  That way we can have
e.g. strace vs kmview show something consistent.  But we can refine this
later.  I think what I did is sufficient to maintain the status quo in your
code.  You can fix it up as needed.