On Monday 15 September 2003 03:26 pm, District Webmaster wrote:

> I wonder, though, how many things get perpetuated because somebody says
> "the Brethren" said it was so -- and none of us know our religion well
> enough to know the difference, or care to find out. And even if we
> think it's bunk, most of us would rather err on the side of caution --
> so stuff just keeps getting spread around that is unfounded.

This could get us into the realm of Mormon Urban Legends, which people suck up
and say is true in Sacrament talks and testimony meetings...

"When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, the temple was one of the targets and
the bomber couldn't see it and..... now he's a member of the church."

"Before the flood, we had technology like airplanes, but it got all buried
under the sea after the flood..."

"Scientist made this computer program to track the movements of the planets
and then ran the program backwards to see what they were like in the past,
and at one point they all stopped, so this proves in the Bible when it
says...."  (semi-on topic example)

These really drive me nuts when people proclaim them over the pulpit.  I once
had a Bishop actually get up and stop the speaker.

--
Jacob Albretsen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]