Quoting Steve Meyers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 08:20, Jacob Albretsen wrote:
> > "When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, the temple was one of the
> targets and
> > the bomber couldn't see it and..... now he's a member of the church."
>
> Actually, I think I saw this one in the Church News, so apparently its
> documented.  I'd look it up before quoting that, though.

I've read so many versions of this story that say how it happened it would
make your head spin.  Doing a search on google:

"...reminds me of one I heard regarding the Japanese trying to attack the
Laie temple. This must be documented somewhere else. It seems that during
the attack on Pearl Harbor one Japanese pilot noticed the Laie temple, and
thought it to be some important government building. As he dived in to bomb
it, all of a sudden his bomb release wouldn't work. He took another pass to
try to shoot it, but his guns weren't working. As he turned around in order
to make a kamikaze attempt, his controls stopped working, and he was well
out to sea before he regained control."

or

"...told me once that he had heard an apostle say that the Japanese
attacked Pearl Harbor only as a second choice, and their original target
was the LDS temple in Laie. However, as they approached it to blow it to
smithereens, it miraculously disappeared from view, so they went on to blow
up Pearl Harbor. No reason was given for why the Japanese would even care
about the temple, let alone want to blow it up, but the implication was
that somehow the Japanese knew of the building's importance and saw its
destruction as a way of somehow thwarting future missionary efforts in
Japan."

Using your head on these pretty much puts them to shame.  The original
target was the Temple?  Give me a break.  I've yet to find _ACTUAL_
documentation.  There was a church article at one time about Mormon
Folklore a while back, but I can't find a copy right now.