On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:09:32AM -0600, Stuart Jansen wrote:

> In the world of the fan boy, saying anything nice about Microsoft is a
> cardinal sin. Some Linux fan boys are so ideologically pure they would
> denounce even Richard Stallman if he ever hinted at a positive opinion
> of anything Microsoft did. That's just plain silly.

About three years ago, I started saying that I could see myself actually
liking Microsoft in about five years.  My thought process was very
similar to what Stuart is saying now: Microsoft has to change to stay
relevant.  Anyway, I'm about halfway there, so I think my estimate might
have been just about right.

The only aspect in which I still "hate" them is the Microsoft Tax.  This
has started to go away for the lowest end netbooks, but it's still not
gone yet.  And I guess I'm still bothered by the Tom Tom lawsuit.

It's unfortunate that Microsoft didn't decide to split itself into two
companies a decade ago.  If they had split into a MS Windows company and
an MS Office company, I think they both would have been pretty likeable
a few years ago.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/