On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 11:55 -0600, Richard Esplin wrote:
> Though I see that Microsoft is adapting to stay relevant, I'm not sure it can
> make the kind of transformation that IBM did as long as Balmer and some of
> the other old-time execs are still around. The culture is changing at the
> developer level and program level, but the corporation still plays games like
> ISO committee stuffing, patent FUD, anti-competitive practices against
> netbook OEMs (speculative, but likely), and incompatible-upgrade-or-die
> cycles.

At no point did I claim it would take Microsoft only 3 years. I implied
but didn't specifically state that Microsoft would probably take as long
as IBM. IBM was at the height of its power before the 90's. It didn't
fully embrace its new style of competition until the tail end of the
90's.

If we put the start of the transition some time in 2005, a year before
Gates announced that he would be leaving, then we've got about 6 years
to go. But we can probably accelerate the process by recognizing and
rewarding those things Microsoft has already changed.

using enough of it." - Chris Maden