you could hard code vpopmail's uid and vchkpw gid in that user_query.. not quite sure if that will do what you're looking for though.

++jukka

Michael Mussulis wrote:
Hmm... so basically so far from everything that's been said, it looks like the uid/gid values are being used for domain creation purposes, but not stored in the sql backend, which brings me to the issue of dovecot authentication via IMAP.

As mentioned before, I did a bog standard vpopmail build/install, followed by a bog standard dovecot build/install. If I add a domain, that is owned by vpopmail/vchkpw - dovecot imap authentication from squirremail works just fine.

However, if for a domain owned by a 'mike4', dovecot authentication fails with:

auth(default): Info: client in: AUTH 1 PLAIN service=imap secured lip=127.0.0.1 rip=127.0.0.1 lport=143 rport=56559 resp=AHBvc3RtYXN0ZXJAdGVzdDEwLmNvbQAxMjM= auth(default): Info: vpopmail(postmas...@test10.com,127.0.0.1): lookup user=postmaster domain=test10.com
auth(default): Info: vpopmail(postmas...@test10.com,127.0.0.1): unknown user
auth(default): Info: new auth connection: pid=18526
auth(default): Info: client out: FAIL   1       user=postmas...@test10.com
imap-login: Info: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts): user=<postmas...@test10.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured

My dovecot.conf auth section is:

##
## Authentication processes
##

auth default {
   mechanisms = plain

   ### works for vpopmail/vchkpw domains
   #passdb vpopmail {
   #    args =
   #}

   #userdb vpopmail {
   #}
   ###

   ### works for -u domains
   passdb sql {
      args = /usr/local/hcp/etc/dovecot-sql.conf
   }

   userdb sql {
       args = /usr/local/hcp/etc/dovecot-sql.conf
        }

   user = vpopmail
   count = 1
   ssl_require_client_cert = no
}

and dovecot-sql.conf:

driver = mysql
connect = host=localhost port=3306 user=admin password=xxxxxxxx dbname=hcp
default_pass_scheme = CRYPT
password_query = SELECT CONCAT(pw_name, '@', pw_domain) AS user, pw_passwd AS password FROM vpopmail WHERE pw_name = '%n' AND pw_domain = '%d' user_query = SELECT pw_dir as home, pw_uid AS uid, pw_gid AS gid FROM vpopmail WHERE pw_name = '%n' AND pw_domain = '%d'

Also, the pw_uid/pw_gid in vpopmail table MUST have the correct uid/gid values for the domain if created with -u, other dovecot will fail with:

dovecot: Error: User postmas...@test10.com not allowed to log in using UNIX UID 0 (root logins are never allowed)

Am I doing something wrong? Am I to understand that for any domain I create with -u, I then have to update vpopmail table with the real uid/gid values?

Thanks,
Michael.
(PS: I know part of the question is about dovecot, but it's closely tied to vpopmail authentication).

 > Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 09:46:37 -0600
 > From: m...@inter7.com
 > To: vchkpw@inter7.com
 > Subject: Re: [vchkpw] vdeliver perimission denied for vadddomain -u