Hmm... so basically so far from everything that's been said, it looks like the
uid/gid values are being used for domain creation purposes, but not stored in
the sql backend, which brings me to the issue of dovecot authentication via
IMAP.
As mentioned before, I did a bog standard vpopmail build/install, followed by a
bog standard dovecot build/install. If I add a domain, that is owned by
vpopmail/vchkpw - dovecot imap authentication from squirremail works just fine.
However, if for a domain owned by a 'mike4', dovecot authentication fails with:
auth(default): Info: client in: AUTH    1       PLAIN   service=imap    secured
lip=127.0.0.1   rip=127.0.0.1   lport=143       rport=56559
resp=AHBvc3RtYXN0ZXJAdGVzdDEwLmNvbQAxMjM=auth(default): Info:
vpopmail(postmas...@test10.com,127.0.0.1): lookup user=postmaster
domain=test10.comauth(default): Info:
vpopmail(postmas...@test10.com,127.0.0.1): unknown userauth(default): Info: new
auth connection: pid=18526auth(default): Info: client out: FAIL   1
user=postmas...@test10.comimap-login: Info: Aborted login (auth failed, 1
attempts): user=<postmas...@test10.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1,
lip=127.0.0.1, secured
My dovecot.conf auth section is:
#### Authentication processes##
auth default {   mechanisms = plain
   ### works for vpopmail/vchkpw domains   #passdb vpopmail {   #    args =   #}
   #userdb vpopmail {   #}   ###
   ### works for -u domains   passdb sql {      args =
/usr/local/hcp/etc/dovecot-sql.conf   }

   userdb sql {       args = /usr/local/hcp/etc/dovecot-sql.conf        }
   user = vpopmail   count = 1   ssl_require_client_cert = no}
and dovecot-sql.conf:
driver = mysqlconnect = host=localhost port=3306 user=admin password=xxxxxxxx
dbname=hcpdefault_pass_scheme = CRYPTpassword_query = SELECT CONCAT(pw_name,
'@', pw_domain) AS user, pw_passwd AS password FROM vpopmail WHERE pw_name =
'%n' AND pw_domain = '%d'user_query = SELECT pw_dir as home, pw_uid AS uid,
pw_gid AS gid FROM vpopmail WHERE pw_name = '%n' AND pw_domain = '%d'
Also, the pw_uid/pw_gid in vpopmail table MUST have the correct uid/gid values
for the domain if created with -u, other dovecot will fail with:
dovecot: Error: User postmas...@test10.com not allowed to log in using UNIX UID
0 (root logins are never allowed)
Am I doing something wrong? Am I to understand that for any domain I create
with -u, I then have to update vpopmail table with the real uid/gid values?
Thanks,Michael.(PS: I know part of the question is about dovecot, but it's
closely tied to vpopmail authentication).
> Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 09:46:37 -0600
> From: m...@inter7.com
> To: vchkpw@inter7.com
> Subject: Re: [vchkpw] vdeliver perimission denied for vadddomain -u

Use Hotmail to send and receive mail from your different email accounts
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/186394592/direct/01/

!DSPAM:4b199dfa32711374655388!