This is kind of an issue with me. The DVX 100 has 24p but I find 24p
to be over rated when it comes to getting a "film" look. When people
talk about getting a "film" look on video they're talking about
getting a film transfered to video look. The best ways to achieve this
is A) to de-interlace which actually reduces your resolution because
de-interlacing involves removing or blending in every other horizontal
line. And B) to make fine adjustments to the gamma curves in your
footage. If you know Photoshop or are a Photographer you'll know what
I'm talking about. Video tends to have a harsher more evenly
distributed gamma curve and film tapers more in the light and dark
parts of your image.

24p tries to mimic the frame rate of film which is almost
imperceptible if the footage is kept in a video format. And when you
are capturing 24 frames per second you are capturing less information.
than you would capture in 25fps (pal) or 29.97fps (ntsc). I want to
start with the maximum image information posible and then have the
choice to throw out stuff later if I want.

One other reason some people think they need to shoot in 24p is
because they think it helps when they are bumping up to film. It
doesn't. When video is bumped up to film the process works the same if
you shot 24p or 60i. And I don't care what kind of camera you shot
with or how you shot it, MiniDV footage will never look like you shot
on 35mm once you've bumped it up to 35mm.

There all kinds of conversion issues you have too before you can even
edit the stuff as well.

So it all boils down to this: 24p is an unnecessary gimmick that is
really just a pain in the ass.

If you want a more 'filmish' look deinterlace (and a lot of web level
compression already does this for you) and adjust your gamma curves if
you can (one nice thing about the DVX 100 is that it can do this for
you in camera).

End of rant.

Bill Streeter
LO-FI SAINT LOUIS