Old timers on this list are gonna love me bringing this up again.
Newbies are probably going to love me even more for disturbing the
mainstream media lovefest which seems to have taken over this email
list in the past few months.

I received some offlist emails about my Four Eyed Monsters post,
which I really think should be reposted here, as they had much more
information about the project, and offerred an alternate view to my
naive opinions. If you emailed me, please CC it here, it will be
interesting for others to read.

But the question it poses is yet again, what is this list for?

The simple answer is to help out new videobloggers. Which again begs
the question <ducking> what is videoblogging? </ducking>

In recent months, reading this list you would be fooled into thinking
that videblogging means video on the Internet. We have countless
"videoblog directories" which simply aggregate RSS enclosures, we
have "videoblog aggregators" which simply play video over the
Internet, we have "videoblog hosting providers" which simply host
video on the Internet, we have "videoblog shows" which are simply
amateur TV series hosted on the Internet... the list goes on.
Videoblog is a buzzword that most people seem to use to describe
anything with video and the Internet.

Others, like me, think it is more about the personal and all that it
entails. So the gap between these opinions is still, after 18 months,
enormous.

The point of the recent Four Eyed Monsters discussion seems to have
been "how to use the Internet to promote your more traditional film",
which I'd argue has jack to do with this list.

On the vlogtheory list, arguably whose main job is to define
videoblogging, we've basically given up discussing the definition,
because nobody will change their mind about what they think a
videoblog is. It's like walking into a party where everyone has their
arms crossed and nobody is talking.

Michael's Vlog Anarchy video was a great bird flip to definition, but
this list is now a perfect example of why videoblogging needs to be
defined, otherwise perhaps the list should be renamed from
videoblogging@yahoogroups.com to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

What do you think?

I'm especially interested in the new members' opinions, as they
probably haven't had a lot of the citizen media, fuck big media
rhetoric we used to go on about  here a year ago, but now tend to no
longer bother about.

Regards,
  Richard