Whats really so bad about twit 57 anyway? I tried to listen to twit once and
couldnt take it,
but I just watched the video version of twit 57 all the way through. Sure,
there were some
moments where too many people talking at once wasnt good, but I found the show
interesting. Unless the video version is edited, I didnt spot any legendary
row, just a mildly
spirited discussion, which was fairly revealing and thus interesting.

And the Murdoch comments were nothing compared to the brief moment at the end
of
2006 and start of 2007 where a few 'would be media moguls' stated their
aspirations in
even more ott fashion, only for those plans to wither away without much fanfare
or
explanation.

I got rather passionate about such things at the time, disgusted by the idea
that a new
breed of gatekeepers were trying to bring themselves into existence, because
that seemed
like it would destroy some of the things that make blogging and vlogging have
such
potential. So whilst I admired the fact that rocketboom didnt seem to be
selling out in the
usual sense, for money, I became disturbed by some possible signs that Mr Baron
was
seeking to achieve a different sort of power.

In a strange way Im sort of sad that nothing much has happened, I was looking
forward to
seeing what would occur. I imagine to witness the emergence of a potential
mogul of the
new media world, we need a far more ruthless character with an iron will, and a
plan that
is more detail than dream, to give it a go. None of the a-
list/controvertial/opinionated/whatever characters, or your confrontations,
live up to the
hype.

Perhaps the new media dominator must also have a good sense of timing, and will
wait till
things grow, and a lot of people do the hard work, before making their move.

2007, not what was expected, and as I said before I think the wobbly economy
could
make 2008 a year of shattered dreams, for those who couldnt keep their dreams
to a
realistic size. Long live the sustainable ones, with their feet on the ground!

Regarding Mahalo and promotion, I would like to know stuff about promotion
options that
are well beyond the reach of the individual or those with more modest funding
etc. Do you
ever consider advertising in traditional mass media? I know that back in 2005
or whenever
the year was that some bvloggers got a lot of mainstream press, some were
surprised
how little difference a story in the NYT or wherever, would make to their
stats. And here in
the UK Ive not seen anything like the number of TV adverts for dotcoms as I did
during
the original bubble. But Im also not convinced that web-only promotion works on
a huge
scale all that often, seems very hit & miss, and I even wonder whether the
notion of mass
marketing will stand the test of time. What if everybody is on the race to the
bottom, the
only way is down, etc? Still taht would probably fit well with the needs of
plnet earth, the
end of 'god is growth' and a return to saner scales in all things?

Cheers

Steve Elbows
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jason McCabe Calacanis" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, John Coffey <jimmycrackhead2000@> wrote:
> >
> > I'm with you Richard. I suggest Jason have lunch with
> > Andrew Baron and relive the worst TWIT ever.
>
> I think you're referring to Rupert Murdoch?!? ;-)
>
> TWiT 57 is legendary now... Leo talks about "not pulling a 57" or "let's not
> 57 this one.."
in