--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Whats really so bad about twit 57 anyway? I tried to listen to twit
once and couldnt take it,
> but I just watched the video version of twit 57 all the way through.
Sure, there were some
> moments where too many people talking at once wasnt good, but I
found the show
> interesting. Unless the video version is edited, I didnt spot any
legendary row, just a mildly
> spirited discussion, which was fairly revealing and thus interesting.

The audio version was a disaster... the amount of noise was crazy.
Some folks like the spirited debate between me "the Baron," some folks
didn't... i thought is fun! :-)

> And the Murdoch comments were nothing compared to the brief moment
> at the end of
> 2006 and start of 2007 where a few 'would be media moguls' stated
> their aspirations in
> even more ott fashion, only for those plans to wither away without
> much fanfare or
> explanation.

No comment.

> I got rather passionate about such things at the time, disgusted by
> the idea that a new
> breed of gatekeepers were trying to bring themselves into existence,
> because that seemed
> like it would destroy some of the things that make blogging and
> vlogging have such
> potential. So whilst I admired the fact that rocketboom didnt seem
> to be selling out in the
> usual sense, for money, I became disturbed by some possible signs
> that Mr Baron was
> seeking to achieve a different sort of power.

I actually think he's a hard working, smart guy... he created
something unique at a unique time. I admire him for having big
aspirations.... and who knows, some day he might become Murdoch. I
mean, it could happen.

That being said, I think the folks who got in blogging and podcasting
first got to grab a lot of land and look really smart when the value
went up.... myself included. When there were only two gadget blogs it
was easy to be #1 or #2... today? Well, today there are 500+ gadget
related blogs.

> In a strange way Im sort of sad that nothing much has happened, I
> was looking forward to
> seeing what would occur. I imagine to witness the emergence of a
> potential mogul of the
> new media world, we need a far more ruthless character with an iron
> will, and a plan that
> is more detail than dream, to give it a go. None of the a-
> list/controvertial/opinionated/whatever characters, or your
> confrontations, live up to the
> hype.

I think you'll see some of the video network folks make a go of it...
Rev3 and NextNewNetworks seem to have solid models of controlling show
costs while keeping value high--and publishing on a regular basis.

> Regarding Mahalo and promotion, I would like to know stuff about
> promotion options that
> are well beyond the reach of the individual or those with more
> modest funding etc. Do you
> ever consider advertising in traditional mass media?

I don't believe in buying advertising for startup companies... I've
always believed that if you make the best product in your space the
world will find it. I'm probably making a mistake in that belief, but
it's worked for me for a while now so I'm going to stick with it.

When I have someone call me and say "buy a $200,000 advertising buy
and we'll send you 10,000 folks a day for the next six months" I think
to myself... hmmm... maybe we could find someone uber talented and put
a couple of talented people around them and make a show that will
bring in 10x." Plus, if you own the show it grows forever... so, it's
 much better deal for us to build a great show then give the money to
some radio station or website to send us some transient traffic.

If we do 250 shows over the next year and they each get 500 views in
the archive on average that's like 100k+ people a day visiting the
site. That's really cool...  the asset value of archives is going to
be great I think.

Own your master tapes if you're going to do a deal with PodShow or
PodTech or Rev3 if you can :-)

best j