--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I tried to help a tiny bit with show-in-a-box licensing issues:
>
> http://showinabox.pbwiki.com/licensing
>
> As you can see, I had not explored what VPiP was made of, but from
what I understood it
> would need to be GPL to be distributed with the rest of SIAB. Did I
get that right?

No, GPL allows other code licensed with less restrictive licenses.  A
list of those licenses are at:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html

vPIP is licensed under X11 (sometimes called MIT License) which the
GPL license allows.

> Frankly, there is a lack of people who understand this stuff, and an
apparent lack of will to
> try to understand it. The issues arent being taken seriously enough,
which ironic
> considering how strongly many in this group feel when its peoples
video licenses that are
> being ignored.

Yes, I've been finding it a bit frustrating getting repeated questions
on why vPIP isn't GPL that I've explained several times.

  -- Enric

> I suppose I should not be surprised, given the amount of times I
mention that many
> peoples CC licenses give others the right to re-host their work,
which is incompatible with
> many peoples stated wishes to remain in control of their content for
stats purposes, and I
> never get any response to that. I gues the details give people a
headache, but these legal
> issues are meaningless without understanding of the detail.
>
> I mean I cant really blame people for not wanting to look at the
detail, as some of it is
> likely to spoil their dreams and plans, but all the same, its
irresponsible.

> If I ever do anything useful I think I'll just release it into the
public domain to provide a
> few less headaches for everyone else.
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve Elbows
>
> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen"
<solitude@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Den 16.11.2007 kl. 13:35 skrev Jay dedman <jay.dedman@>:
> >
> > > vPIP is GPL....so if you wanted to help optimize this feature...
> >
> > I've been confused about the license of vPIP for a while now,
maybe Enric
> > can help out.
> >
> > I realise that I'm one of the few people who have actually read
through
> > the vPIP source code more than once starting with the first
versions Enric
> > released way back when and as a result some of my obversations are
more
> > esoteric.
> >
> > The licenses.txt states that the cirneViewer.swf is conventional
copyright
> > and the rest of the package is LGPL (not GPL). But vPIP consists
of a
> > collection of scripts, some by Enric, some not.
> >
> > * The .js files contain text stating that they are covered by the
X11