--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Cammack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> hmm... I had assumed that Heath was talking about overlay ads DURING
> the program.  I don't have a problem with pre-roll and post-roll ads
> of whatever type.  They just have to be integrated properly with the
> subject matter.  I say if pre-roll's going to be peppy and bouncy, get
> it out of the way in the first 3 seconds of the show, before the
> on-air talent sets up the piece.
>
> Then again, unfortunately, some groups don't burn their ads in
> directly.  I forget what the name is of the service, but when I did my
> Indy Mogul episode, the plan was to provide two segments that made up
> the entire show, and the commercial in between was added by that
> program/service.  I'll assume that's so the ads can be dynamically
> inserted.
>
> Anyway, like I said in the other post, it's the difference between
> doing art for the sake of art and doing art so that people will stop
> by and click on it and give you some ad revenue.  hahaha It's only
> going to get worse from here on out! :D

And maybe it's going to get better.

BoingBoing is able to lure advertising because of the way the internet
has been hyped up.  But when the hype dies, and the advertisers move
on to more professional content, maybe there will be room for small
self-sustaining communities to emerge.

I just checked BoingBoing's classified rates.  Even the cheapest ad is
ten times beyond my budget.  But what if the "directory of wonderful
things" was being run by people who were happy being small?  What if
they were satisfied with shoe string budgets and labors of love?

I want a directory where I can pay $20 to promote my latest "art for
the sake of art" video.

But I don't think it's likely to happen until the bubble pops.
There's too much big money being bet on the internet.  I mean, how do
you get people excited about DIY social networks when myspace is so
easy and convenient?

So maybe things will get better.  Or worse.  The bubble could take net
neutrality with it.  Let me write the story:

Is anybody reading this old enough to remember YouTube?  It was one of
the biggest media sharing sites during "web 2.0", the great democracy
experiment that failed.  There was no market for consumer generated
content but those behind the technology believed in "the people".
Unfortunately, their ideals clashed with reality and all their social
networks went under during the time of the food riots.  But wait, this
story has a happy ending!  Nearly all of our modern day technology
depends on what was once called "The Internet".  Let's take a moment
to tip our ear pieces to those idealistic dreamers who made it all
possible.  If it wasn't for them, we would not have many of the
conveniences we now take for granted, such as television on our
telephones.  We chuckle at the revolutionary language they used but
there can be no doubt: they were pioneers who made the world a better
place.

-John Totalvom.