This article is awesome to me. Back in the early 90s, I was helping my dad's
publishing shop produce multimedia CD-ROMs. Breaking the 320x240 vidoe size
barrier was a dream for me, until one day I realized that pixel-doubling in
Macromedia Director didn't make the video look too bad, and it was immersive
to boot!

To help Jay explain the "bottleneck", if we look at production in the lens
of video media literacy, the digital divide would look like this:

[image: 4244864841_363a04f890_o_d.jpg]

I've used this chart in my classes... it's from "Knowledge of Digital Video
Manipulation Techniques and its Effect on the Preceived Credibility of
Television News" by Arie Stavchansky (2006). The entire dissertation (PDF)
is available at:
http://webspace.utexas.edu/cherwitz/www/ie/samples/stavchansky.pdf

Kevin Lim
Cyberculturalist