> > Video compression (especially proprietary) is a bottleneck
> > with online video.
>
> Just the opposite ... video compression is a boon to online video. If there
> were no video compression there would not be any online video.

Very very true. Improved video compression has helped spread web vide
the last 10 years.

My more specific point is simple this: video codecs have gotten
better...but the fight between the proprietary standards is hampering
online video from further spreading. The idea of people editing video
like they edit a text document is still a long ways away. Why?

Because every platform uses different standards. Its difficult for a
PC and mac to trade video files without a lot of conversion nonsense.
Flash is pretty universal for playback but useless for editing. Open
Source community cant really build good video editors without
"stealing" compression technology. I cant play Flash videos on my
iPhone bcause Apple doesnt want to pay Adobe for the rights for the
codec playback. These are problems.

Jay

--
http://ryanishungry.com