h.264 tends to be more cpu intensive than older flash video codecs. Playing
h.264 via a flash wrapper in a browser can use a lot more cpu than playing it
via native operating system video player/browser plugin. But the latest beta of
flash player features significantly lower cpu use when playing video, and
various computers & operating systems are tending to shift h.264 playback to
the gpu rather than cpu, and flash is trying to do this also.

As for the broader question of video compression, h.264 is quite firmly
entrenched now, and for most people it will continue to be the best option as
they are not affected by licensing issues. If you sell your videos and they are
less than 12 minutes long or you have less than 100,000 users, its not an
issue. If you give awa your videos then its not an issue, although the license
does change at the end of 2010, it probably still wont affect many people
unless they have really big audiences, its the usual story of them only
targeting people with revenue who could reasonably afford to pay. If you make
hardware or software that does encoding, or if you are offering a video hosting
site on the internet, it could be an issue.

And as even Microsoft have had to come to the h.264 party, I dont think there
is going to be a shift away from h.264 any time soon.

Cheers

Steve Elbows