Like many others I use modern chord names when playing guitar continuo: this
enables the underlying harmony (shades of Rameau) to be played without obvious
errors.  However I play solo music from original tablatures and the many
'mixed' Italian tablatures enables Alfabeto to be learnt. In practice I never
confuse the two systems.

However, I do so agree that generally players ought to be encouraged to play
from the original notations and, like you, deprecate the modern practice of
transcribing into a uniform French tablature.

Finally, the problem with some of the early Alfabeto songs is that the symbols
are not always quite accurate: a good example is the A 4,3 (modern chord
notation)cadence which is only shown as I (Alfabeto) in the original.

MH