Very interesting example, Monica, thanks for posting it. I wasn't aware of that technique for indicating time.

Thank you, also for pointing out the mistake in the D major chord. I have uploaded a corrected version.

I think anyone who spends time with this repertoire finds mismatches/ mistakes as Martyn and you have pointed out.

I'm wondering about your comment that the alfabeto was supplied by the publisher. Yes, I can believe that. And I would imagine that Monteverdi's contributions added significantly to the sales of Milanuzzi's collection.

But is there something more intended in your comment? Is the important question to you whether the actual composer supplied the chord indications? I assume at least Kapsberger supplied his own. (Castaldi didn't seem to want guitar chords.) Not all of the pieces in the song collections I am most familiar with have guitar chords -- so even publishers had some limits.

To me it is interesting that there is so much fine music thought to be -- and to my ear, seems to be -- appropriate for guitar accompaniment.

-- R