Hi Martyn,

   Are the French 4-course guitar books specifically aimed at the amateur
   market? For that matter, does "amateur" have the same connotations of
   skill for us as it did for them?

   I like to be cautious with commonly accepted modern generalities such
   as the amateur market idea for early published music. I don't remember
   any primary evidence that these French books from the 1550s were
   strictly pedagogical or for players with less ability than others. But
   my French isn't so hot, so I'd really appreciate anyone's correction on
   this point about these French books in particular. (For that matter, I
   could have missed something in English, or any other language, too.)

   I do see plenty of internal evidence, however, that much of this
   4-course material is virtuosic: besides the diminished dances, try
   those battle pieces, or the de Rippe fantasies, etc.

   Regarding speed: NPR has a story about a steroid scandal among
   musicians; here's the link, below, in case list users haven't heard
   this shocking story yet (once you're on the NPR site, click "listen to
   this report"). It's nearly 5 minutes long, but this important story is
   worth the length  ;  D

    [1]http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4572575

   Best,
   Jocelyn