     From: Monica Hall <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
     Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Valdambrini's evidence
     To: "Lex Eisenhardt" <eisenha...@planet.nl>
     Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Friday, 19 November, 2010, 12:41

   Sanseverino's six (dance-) songs are accompaniments to well-known
   > melodies.
   Obviously you haven't seen them.   (They are not the same songs
   included in
   the 1620 edition).  They are songs which were currently in the
   repertoire at
   the time - Rontani's Caldi sospiri to name but one. This had apppeared
   with
   basso continuo in a song book printed in Florence in 1614 without
   alfabeto and was reprinted in Rome with
   alfabeto in 1623.
   > The songs of Marini, Berti and so many others were new compositions,
   > provided with the harmony of a basso continuo. The alfabeto
   > could well have been inscribed by the composer himself, as we assume
   of
   > Biagio Marini, for example.
   I am sure that it was and if you read what Marini has said and study
   how he
   has added the alfabeto to the songs you can see that he had in mind
   something quite different from what you seem to think
   > [could we please have
   > this discussion in Dutch ?:~) ]
   Double  Dutch perhaps.   What you are saying sounds like pedantry to
   me.
   what was going on in
   >> Surely they are one and the same?
   >
   > No they are not.
   I think you are mistaken.   Most of these song books are not intended
   for
   amateurs (although amateurs may have performed cf. Schubert lieder).
   This is clear from the voice part.   They are intended for
   accomplished singers - of whom there would have been a large number in
   Italy
   where every church and cathedral had a body of professional singers.
   > We cannot tell how someone like Foscarini, of whom we have no songs,
   > would have shaped his accompaniment to a song by Marini or Landi. But
   we
   > are
   > so fortunate to have his BC instructions, even if they are late.
   That is the point isn't it.   They are included in the latest
   (surviving)
   edition of his work - 1640 - not the earlier one.   But sources from
   the 1620s tell a different
   story.   We don't even know if he would ever have accompanied these
   songs - which according to you were going out of style by 1640.   But
   some of the pieces in his 1629 book and that of Colonna are clearly
   intended to be accompaniments to songs in fashion at the time.