   From: Stewart McCoy <lu...@tiscali.co.uk>
   To: Vihuela List <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Fri, November 19, 2010 8:16:36 AM
   Subject: [VIHUELA] Valdambrini's evidence
   Dear Monica,
   Many thanks for your reply to my email about strumming. We agree that a
   good guitarist wouldn't always feel obliged to strum every available
   string of a chord all the time. We also agree that guitarists had long
   been happy with the "wrong" inversion of a chord - in particular,
   second
   inversions.
   Where we differ, I think, is whether someone strumming a guitar with
   bourdons may have chosen to avoid some of the lower notes of a chord,
   where they would otherwise interfere with a bass line, like the bass
   notes played on a spinet for that song by Stefano Landi.
   To this I would ask, why is that guitarists in the 17th century chose
   string their guitars without bourdons? By doing that, they drastically
   reduce the overall range of the instrument, and different courses end
   up
   duplicating each other by sounding notes at the same pitch. It seems a
   very strange thing to want to do, yet so many guitarists chose to
   string
   their guitars that way. Having a re-entrant tuning enables one to play
   lots of fancy campanellas, of course, but I suspect that this was not
   why the bourdons were removed in the first place.
   My guess, (and it would be lovely if you could confirm it to be right),
   is that the bourdons were removed for the sake of strumming. Second
   inversions were not such a problem per se, especially if there was
   another instrument supplying the true bass, but a second inversion
   involving a "wrong" note sounding below the bass, or one which was
   particularly low in pitch, was not satisfactory.
   Assuming that to be the case, the guitarist has two ways of avoiding
   those low, unwanted notes. Either he avoids playing them, as Lex has
   maintained was a possibility, or he gets rid of the bourdons
   altogether,
   so that he can strum to his heart's content without having to worry
   about having to miss out the odd unfelicitous low note.
   Best wishes,
   Stewart.