   Von: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu im Auftrag von Chris Despopoulos
   Gesendet: Do 03.02.2011 08:48
   An: Harlan Glotzer; Monica Hall
   Cc: Vihuelalist
   Betreff: [VIHUELA] Re: Baroque guitar, where to start?

      Well, I think that's the big issue.  There's a storm of controversy
      swirling around this very question, if I have followed the mailing
   list
      correctly.
      Gaspar Sanz has hinted rather strongly (in my opinion) that he
   prefers
      a full re-entrant stringing.  A year ago, when I started on the
      instrument I went through exactly this problem.  It was all the more
      difficult for me because I had played many Sanz pieces on the modern
      guitar -- it's downright wierd to get used to the lowest string in
   the
      middle of the instrument.  But after heated rounds of messages, I
   gave
      up all thoughts of trying to selectively play the treble or bass
   string
      of the 4th and 5th courses (even that is controversial, and there
   are
      people who do this -- you must hear their results for yourself) --
   for
      me it's too difficult to do it convincingly.  So to prove to myself,
      recorded some Sanz pieces with fully re-entrant stringing.. The
   results
      are on my site ([1][1]http://cudspan.net/baroque/) and rough as they
   are
      they convinced me to carry on that way.  I've done so with Sanz for
      about a year now.  In my experience there are *very few* if any Sanz
      pieces that don't work.  For his first fugue I find it helps to add
   the
      higher G on a few phrases.  I'd say that's the most problematic
   piece
      I've encountered in his work.  Indeed, with bordones on 4th and 5th
   it
      sounds very rich.  But to my ears there are many of his pieces that
      sound horrible with either of the bordones.  (How jaded we
   become...)
      I also got the Libro de Diferentes Cifras (m/811, 1705), edited by
      Francisco Alfonso Valdivia -- Monica is credited as a collaborator
      (sounds subversive).  I have found that very many of those pieces
   also
      work with fully re-entrant stringing.  The campanelas in the
      Paracumbres, for example, would be unthinkable to me with bordones.
   On
      the other hand, the second-to-last variation is redundant without
      bordones.  Not a problem, but questionable. The book seems to be a
      catalog rather than a singular obra, so I doubt it can answer your
      question.
      I'm branching out to Roncalli, as the thread indicates.  So far so
      good, but I have to get the manuscript.  So far I just have a free
   PDF
      that has the tablature flipped around (not sure why...).  For the
      Sonate en Ottavo Tuono I see no problems whatsoever with full
      re-entrance...  Assuming the PDF is faithful.  In fact, it seems to
   beg
      for fully re-entrant tuning...  The Preludio rings out wonderfully,
   the
      chords in the Alamanda and Corrente are light.
      My understanding (from Sanz, anyway) is that yes, those wacky
   Italians
      liked full re-entrance -- at least at the time that Sanz published
   his
      book.  I glean from the history I've read that fashion was important
      and capricious, and I can only assume this was yet-another fashion.
      How did it start, why, etc. are all questions I certainly can't
      answer.  Again, see the archives of this list, look to existing
      publications...  Monica is recognized in this very field.
      My personal hypothesis is that the 6-string guitar would not have
      developed without the benefit of bordones.  Indeed, the 6-course
   guitar
      (double-strung) seems to have a short life in the period, and gives
   way
      to single courses very quickly.  I beg forgiveness and correction if
      I'm wrong on that.  In my opinion, there's no logical reason to have
      fully re-entrant 6-course guitar.  You end up repeating a note on
   one
      course or the other.  That hints to me that for as long as there was
      5-course writing going on, re-entrance was a subcurrent that was
   either
      acknowledged (expressly or tacitly) or expressly denied (I think
   Guerau
      insisted on bordones, didn't he? And as Monica pointed out, wasn't
   it
      Corbetta who wrote for the English, aka English tuning?).  But I
   can't
      say that gives you a trajectory -- later works wanting bordones and
      earlier works not.  I just don't think that follows.
      But again, my *experience* is limited at present to the above
   mentioned
      works.  I'm just an amateur here.  It's all great fun, and I hope
   you
      take it in that way!
      cud