On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 08:29:10PM EDT, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
> cga2000 wrote:
> >On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 05:59:42PM EDT, Christian Ebert wrote:
> >>* A.J.Mechelynck on Saturday, July 22, 2006 at 22:40:45 +0200:
> >>No. Just latin9 or ISO8859-15 (Look at the header of this mail).
> >>
> >>Mon coeur.
> >>
> >>This is on a Mac with a German keyboard, but using actually an
> >>American keyboard layout. I enter the "oe" with Alt-q (the "Alt"
> >>key on Mac keyboard corresponds to the Modifier key on other
> >>keyboards I believe).
> >
> >Could this be Mac-specific?
> >
> >I switched to encoding=latin9.
> >
> >When I do a Ctrl-K o e and a Ctrl-K O E this is what I get:
> >
> >½ ¼
> >
> >confirmed by the :dig command.
> >
> >I looked carefully at the output of :dig and I couldn't see our elusive
> >"e dans l'o" either.
> >
> >So I switched to the French ISO-08859-15, then the US version of
> >latin9.. still can't find that "o dans l'e".
> >
> >Strange thing is that the font I use on terminals does have these two
> >characters (upper/lower case E dans l'O..) in the exact same spot Vim
> >displays the above fractions..
>
> Try the following (in gvim):

.. with all the goings-on in this thread I never had a chance to
mention the fact that I do not use gvim. I try to do everything in a
terminal (under gnu/screen) because text-mode apps were designed for
the keyboard so they work a lot better than gui's for those of us who
prefer not to use mice.

>  :echo has("multi_byte")
>
> the answer should be 1. If it is zero, your version of gvim cannot
> handle UTF-8.

Works fine if I switch my locale to UTF-8.  Vim automatically figures
what I want and :dig displays the "o dans l'e" (both the lower and upper
case versions) among a gazillon other digraphs. Then I can use the
ususal Ctrl-K oe .. save the file.. pass this on to LaTeX and provided I
have the correct LaTeX statements to activate UTF-8 (that's what took
forever to figure out the other day..) I get my "coeurs", "voeux" and
"boeufs" rendered correctly in xdvi/gv .. *and* the the ensuing
printout looks great too.

The problem with this is that I haven't found a comfortable way to
run Vim in UTF-8 mode and the rest of my stuff in 8-bit mode.

Over the week-end I found that I can run Vim in a separate "unicode"
xterm but that's not what I want because I lose screen's copy/paste and
more importantly it destroys my attempt at running a fully integrated
"desktop".

Other problems that I have run into is that text files created when in
UTF-8 mode are a mess when browsed in latin1/9 mode.  I also have
problems when I print "unicode" files.. I once created a nice table
with those box-drawing characters that were available in UTF-8 mode and
it was really nice on-screen.. but when I tried to print it, all I got
was rows and columns of questiion marks.

So I switched back to latin1 pending better internationalization support
in some applications (slrn, ELinks.. mutt should workd but it's tricky)
and maybe more importantly until I acquire a better understanding of
running a unicode locale in X/linux and the implications thereof..

>  :if &tenc=="" | let &tenc = &enc | endif | set enc=utf-8 :new
>
> then i (set Insert mode) and ^Vu0153 (where ^V is Ctrl-V, unless you
> use Ctrl-V to paste, in which case it is Ctrl-Q).
>
> If you see anything other than the oe digraph, then your 'guifont' is
> plain wrong. See http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=632
> about how to choose a better one.

Well.. actually.. I ran some tests in latin-9 earlier.. trying to figure
out this "o dans l'e" business.. that was on a linux console..  and
that's where I realized that I was still running a unicode font.. both
on the linux console and in 'X'.. :-) .. It seems I never switched back
after my brief incursion into unicode territory..  and since I haven't
had any problems displaying and printing text since I switched back.. I
would say that the font is ok..  And that UTF-8 stuff is indeed
backward-compatible?

The font is called "terminus" and I like it a lot because it looks like
a fixed-width version of MS's Verdana, which is my favorite screen font.

see http://wwww.geocities.com/cga9999/wee.png for an excellent
screenshot.

Thanks

cga