On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 12:15:10AM EDT, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2006-08-18, cga2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[help creating numbered and bulleted lists in Vim]

> For numbered lists,
>
>     set fo+=n
>
> For bulleted lists using '-',
>
>     set com+=fb:-
>
> or '*',
>
>     set com+=fb:*
>
> but those should already be part of the default 'comments' option
> unless you have changed it.  (Odd that numbered lists and bulleted
> lists use different options.)
> See
>
>     :help 'fo'
>     :help 'com'
>
> I also have '2' as part of my 'formatoptions' string.  I don't think
> it affects lists, but you might try it if those other settings don't
> work as you'd like them to.

Looks very promising.

I'm three hours behind/ahead of you (EST) .. so it's bedtime for me ..

Main thing that I have to figure out is a simple way to get back to
column 1 when starting a new list item.  When I am done entering item
#1, I need to type "2." in columns 1 and 2 and if I just hit enter to
start a new line, Vim jumps to column 4.  So I escape back to command
mode .. Vim moves the cursor to column 1 .. I hit "i" ..

Also, I created a ten-item list and the text in item #10 and items #1
to #9 is not aligned.  So I select the column that has the space that
separated 1. .. 2. .. from the text <Ctrl-V> .. yank it .. and hit "p"
causing Vim to indent the text in items 1-9 by an additional column.
Need to check the help files .. see if there's a better way.

Lastly.. I need to check what happens with fo+=a .. see if this plays
well with automatic formatting of paragraphs.  Hopefully Vim will
reflow text without losing track of the list indent.

Thank you very much..!!!!

cga