On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 01:45:32AM EDT, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2006-08-19, cga2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[..]

> > I'm three hours behind/ahead of you (EST) .. so it's bedtime for me ..

> It's getting late here, too, but I just got a new Windows PC and two
> new flat-panel monitors that I share between the Windows PC and my
> Linux PC, so I'm trying to get everything configured the way I want.

So .. how did it go..?

By the way, I was pretty sick with the flu (!) when I last posted and I
really could have sworn (same as with Tony M.) that I had replied to
this message.

> > Main thing that I have to figure out is a simple way to get back to
> > column 1 when starting a new list item.  When I am done entering
> > item #1, I need to type "2." in columns 1 and 2 and if I just hit
> > enter to start a new line, Vim jumps to column 4.  So I escape back
> > to command mode .. Vim moves the cursor to column 1 .. I hit "i" ..

> Just hit Ctrl-D after the enter that finishes the item.  Actually,
> you can hit Ctrl-D any time while you're typing the next numbered
> line.  That will move the line one shift-width to the left, just as
> '<<' does in normal mode.

Perfect ..

> > Also, I created a ten-item list and the text in item #10 and items
> > #1 to #9 is not aligned.  So I select the column that has the space
> > that separated 1. .. 2. .. from the text <Ctrl-V> .. yank it .. and
> > hit "p" causing Vim to indent the text in items 1-9 by an additional
> > column.  Need to check the help files .. see if there's a better
> > way.

> I usually usually use Ctrl-V to select the first column of text,
> then type 'I' and a space and <Esc>.  Your method is slightly
> better, as long as you're not using tabs and a deeply-indented list.

Well .. I have installed a plugin that causes <Tab> to do completion in
insert mode (instead of entering a tab ..) .. so I have to do a Ctrl-V
<Tab> .. so I don't use tabs very often these days.

I probably need to get rid of the plugin but for the life of me, I
can't rememeber what it's called.

:-)

> > Lastly.. I need to check what happens with fo+=a .. see if this
> > plays well with automatic formatting of paragraphs.  Hopefully Vim
> > will reflow text without losing track of the list indent.

> It seems to work well most of the time, but there are a few cases
> where it doesn't, notably when a sentence ends in a number, such as a
> year or a model number, and that number wraps to the start of the next
> line.  Then vim insists on indenting the line following that number as
> though the number was a list item.  Like this, assuming a narrow
> 'textwidth':

>     Columbus sailed the ocean blue in
>     1492.  Then some more text just to
>            fill in the line.

gotcha ..

> Consequently, I never include 'n' and 'aw' in 'fo' at the same time.

Is there any way I could map a simple toggle to (de)activate fo+=a
(auto-format) .. so I can get rid of it quickly when it starts causing
problems .. such as editing mail headers in mutt .. eg. ??

Thanks again.

cga