Jorge Almeida wrote:
I've upgraded to vim-7.0.17. I don't know which version I had before,
probably 6.4. I run linux (gentoo).
After upgrading, syntax for perl seems to have gone to the trash.
Colours appear chaotic and pressing 'o' in normal mode opens a new line
but without the proper identation. How can such a thing happen?
This doesn't seem vim anymore.
What can I do?

There are several things you can do, independently of each other:

- Upgrade to 7.0.083

- Change colorscheme, or write your own

- Use the command ":filetype indent on" or ":filetype indent off" to switch filetype-related indenting on or off. When on, it overrides 'autoindent' and 'smartindent'. If you decide to turn it off, check that these latter two options are set as you want them, and since they are boolean options, don't forget the question marks in

        :verbose set autoindent? smartindent?

- Contact the maintainer(s) of the perl plugins ftplugin/perl.vim and syntax/perl.vim