On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

I already downgraded to 6.4. Vim is just not a package I can afford to
do without...
Of course I hope to be able to upgrade someday.
> There are several things you can do, independently of each other:
>
> - Upgrade to 7.0.083
Not a good option for me. Version 7.0.17 is the one considered stable in
gentoo, and I don't like to risk the bleeding edge with main packages.

> - Change colorscheme, or write your own
I had a costumized colour scheme, which worked before, and still works
now, after downgrading. But note that colour is not the only problem.
Indenting went away, too. I checked my .vimrc. It has "filetype plugin
indent on". I also checked the differences between new and old
/etc/vim/vimrc. They seem trivial.
BTW, I'm not sure I understand about colour schemes: what I costumized
are things like the colour of the selected area in visual mode and such.
I didn't touch anything related with filetypes. With the new version,
the problem is not that the colours are not to my liking, it's that they
are synctatical nonsense (same keyword sometimes coloured, sometimes
not, blocks of code all pink for no apparent good reason,...).

> - Use the command ":filetype indent on" or ":filetype indent off" to switch
> filetype-related indenting on or off. When on, it overrides 'autoindent' and
> 'smartindent'. If you decide to turn it off, check that these latter two
> options are set as you want them, and since they are boolean options, don't
> forget the question marks in
>
>       :verbose set autoindent? smartindent?

Will try this next time I upgrade.

> - Contact the maintainer(s) of the perl plugins ftplugin/perl.vim and
> syntax/perl.vim

But what can brake such features? I read the manual for changes and new
features, and found nothing relevant (except for the new parentesis
highlightening, which I promptly got rid of).

> Best regards,
> Tony.

Thanks,

Jorge