I love gvim and use it at work on a Linux system with no connection to the outside world. My coworkers laugh at copy-paste cycles that involve <mark>ya <move>i<cntrl-x>" and <cntrl-x><cntrl-o> code completion, but I consistently code-compile-debug faster than they can using eclipse.

I thought OK, let's setup vim to be more user friendly so I can do advocacy. This led me to using cream.

I installed it ( http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cream/cream-0-38-gvim-7-0-152.exe ) on a windows computer to test, but found cream and its installation of vim both very slow to start up, on the order of 10s of seconds, about the same time as a network timeout. Is this reasonable? Is there some kind of "call home" in the startup files? A clean installation of vim 7.0 from source on the same machine does not have this problem.