On 2/27/07, Peter Michaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Hanu,

Thanks for the response

On 2/26/07, Theerasak Photha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 2/26/07, Peter Michaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Does vim have the concept of a project of files? I like the project
> > drawer to the left of the editing window which shows the files and
> > directory structure on my hard drive.
>
> c.f. taglist.vim (see below)

I looked at the sourceforge page for taglist.vim. That doesn't really
look like what I'm after. That is a code browser and I'm looking for a
directory tree.

I'm sure there are a number of others, too.

> > If vim does have the concept of a project can I do a project wide
> > search or search and replace in my project? I find this essential for
> > refactoring and cleaning up code when I realize what I should have
> > called a variable.
>
> c.f. tags functionality

From what I've read so far I don't see how tags do what I want to do.
I want to search thorough many different files with various languages
and doc files for a particular string. Tags seem related to a
particular language and wouldn't do that.

Which particular language? You can generate a tags file for almost
anything. Exuberant ctags for starters, which is general purpose for
many languages, and there's also things like ptags.py, rtags, etc.

Tags files are plain text, which means you can aggregate them and
manipulate them easily any way you want. (e.g., scripting).

Cheers,
hanu