Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:
On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 11:00:50AM +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:
On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 06:51:47AM +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
[...]
Completion continues until:
- You type a non-word character, such as a space or a comma;
This is not 100% correct. It continues untill space or Enter is
encountered. Coma, ( { etc are not counted.
When I type a comma, it closes the popup. Of course, the comma is not

Aha, I guess this is where confusion comes. The popup closes, but
completion does not stop. At the bottom of screen I still have "Keyword
completion (^N^P) match 1 of 2". And this does not go away untill I hit
Space, Enter, Esc, Ctrl-Y, Ctrl-E. The funniest thing is, that even
after I've added ( or , to the text and popup is gone, the message still
says "1 match of 2" :)

On my system, after the comma it says "-- INSERT --" and the "match m of n" is gone. See further down for details.

I don't know what you're using, but on my version of Vim and my vimrc it _is_ correct. (Not that I change much to how completion behaves by default: 'complete' is at its default of ".,w,b,u,t,i" and "completeopt" is "menuone,preview" instead of the default of "menu,preview".) When I add a letter after the completion, and there are no matches anymore, the popup closes (and what had been completed before the last letter I typed, stays there). Very intuitive and very convenient.

Yep. I have the same settings. And the same behaviour up to the point
that completion does not stop after the popup is gone. Only this I find
inconvinient. If there are no more matches to the text, the completion
must stop and not just hide the popup.

IIUC, completion does stop, it's just that it's latest information message on the command-line is not wiped away.

but here it _is_ wiped away:

...dudit c<Ctrl-N>
...dudit C4_11
-- Keyword completion (^N^P) match 1 of 1582

Ctrl-P
...dudit c
-- Keyword completion (^N^P) Back at original

...dudit co
-- Keyword completion (^N^P) Back at original

Ctrl-N 5 times
...dudit connestable
-- Keyword completion (^N^P) match 15 of 1582

,
...dudit connestable,
-- INSERT --

...which leads me to ask: do you have 'showmode' set? On my system, ":verbose set showmode?" (without the quotes but with the question mark) replies:

  showmode
Last set by /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/vimrc_example.vim

Cat, n.:
        Lapwarmer with built-in buzzer.