Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:
On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 01:17:39PM +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
[...]
Aha, I think, that here we talk about a bug!  If I hit Ctrl-N, get the
needed completion, and then start typing further, then the completion
stops as soon as there are no more matches.  BUT. If after Ctrl-N I hit
Backspace first, and then continue typing, then completion does not stop
even when there are no more matches. In this case only Esc or Ctrl-Y
aborts the completion.

Ah, finally, I can reproduce that. I think it's only a missing screen redraw. If I backspace, then type a few letters, then (let's say) a period, the message "match m of n" is still there. Hitting <Left> makes it disappear (replaced by "-- INSERT --"), after which <Right> brings the cursor back where it belongs.

Unfortunately it's not just a missing screen. If you try to do
completion again it won't work. So again, type the beginning of word,
hit Ctrl-N, hit Backspace, type ( and beginning of another word, hit
Ctrl-N to complete it. It won't work saying that there are no matches.
That's because old completion is still active and it tries to complete
the whole thing. This happens very often when one has to write C
functions :) So, I would say this is a more serious bug than just
missing update of the screen.

Actually, I've hit another bug few times already, unfortunately I can't
reproduce it. When I type quickly and miss a key, then I try to undo my
changes and instead get back the message "Can't undo, the line numbers
are incorrect" or something like that. Usually it happens after I hit
2-3 keys wrong, so I still can't reproduce it. Well, when I type
japanese text in "over the spot" mode this is "normal". But everyone
decided that this is a bug in the japanese input. Looks like it can be
triggered also in non-japanes input.

Hm, that kind of error was mentioned in another thread that's still active. The OP in question says that his sysadmin just installed the latest Debian distro, including a Vim 7.0.122 which doesn't include some bugfix that may be critical to cure that undo problem. You may want to compile the latest Vim (7.0.233, several patches published yesterday). It won't help with that popup problem (which I can now reproduce with the latest build) but it may help with your undo problem.

Cocaine is nature's way of telling you you have too much money.