Hi,

> Googling a bit brought me to this thread http://tinyurl.com/3cgns7
> which provides 'workaround', i.e. putting something like:

Snip from the thread:

================================= cut ==================================
i still think that the best way would be to teach app developers that
they must not expect that shells are posix compatible but should rather
explicitly call a posix shell if they need one.

And you are doing exactly that by having this setting.

> if $SHELL =~ 'fish'
>    set shell=/bin/sh
> endif

> However, the 'workaround' means only to be able to use shell with vim
> when one has fish as default shell, but not using fish.

Maybe I misunderstood here. If you want to tell vim to use /bin/sh all
the time, just put "set shell=" unconditionally into your vimrc.

> Short discussion on #vim confirmed that, somehow, vim has posix-
> compliancy hardwired, so the question is if there is some prospect in
> the future that vim can execute posx non-compliant shells like fish?

And what interface exactly should vim use ? Every non-posix shell will
probably have different one, so you would have to support them one by
one.

> After switching to xmonad WM, i (mostly) replaced gvim with vim
> running it in fullscreen session and I'd be more than happy being able
> to jump into my default (fish) shell to perform e.g. darcs-related
> tasks and not having to switch to another fish term.

You can always run

:!fish

Let's try to state the question differently. What's wrong if you
:set shell=/bin/sh ? Some part of vim behaves differently than what
would you want ?

> Moreover, after 'discovering' the shell-problem, I was quickly
> ridiculed  by some emxxx users :-(

I don't think that emacs supports fish (but I might be wrong). The
advantage which emacs has here, is that it can run commandline in a
window, so you may start fish (or perl, python, etc.) in window and
still edit text in other window.

Hope this helps

--
        Vlad