> > Maybe I misunderstood here. If you want to tell vim to use /bin/sh all
> > the time, just put "set shell=" unconditionally into your vimrc.
>
> That's clear, but I'd like to use fish and not /bin/sh as shell.

> > You can always run
> >
> > :!fish
>
> That's the problem - it does not work - and you can try for yourself.

Id does work for me, through there is really some problem.

I do have

:set shell=/bin/sh

This just says to vim, to use /bin/sh for executing external commands.
It does not say which shell I should use for my interactive work.

Then I run

:!fish

Welcome to fish, the friendly interactive shell
Type help for instructions on how to use fish
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~> echo $version
1.22.3
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~>

And I do have fish shell.

Now the problem is, when I exit

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~> exit

Good bye

[1]+  Stopped                 vi

It somehow stops vim. When I bring it to foreground (using fg), vi
continues normally.

> > > After switching to xmonad WM, i (mostly) replaced gvim with vim
> > > running it in fullscreen session and I'd be more than happy being
> > > able to jump into my default (fish) shell to perform e.g.
> > > darcs-related tasks and not having to switch to another fish term.
> >
> > Let's try to state the question differently. What's wrong if you
> > :set shell=/bin/sh ? Some part of vim behaves differently than what
> > would you want ?
>
> I'd like to be able to do :set shell=/usr/bin/fish and use it.

I still don't see the reason. If you ":set shell=/usr/bin/fish", it does
not change vim behavior, only if you run external commands like
":%!sort" it will try to use fish instead of sh.

Can you be here more specific and give example of what behaves
differently ?

--
        Vlad