On 26/06/08 08:50, Christian MICHON wrote:
[...]
> If you see how Bram is handling (well) vim, it has a linear
> development. No branches, No merge.

That's not totally accurrate, see below.

> When he moves on to the next release, the previous one does not get
> updated patches (it seldom happens).
[...]

...but sometimes it does. The first published snapshot of vim70aa (Vim
7.0 alpha) occurred while the latest "official" patchlevel was
6.3.something; then 6.3 got quite a number of further patches, and later
6.4 was released and several times upgraded, all while further 7.0
"snapshots" (i.e., full multi-language multi-OS source+runtime archives)
were being published one after the other. I know: at that time I
compiled both 6.x and 7.0aa for Windows, and uploaded them to my site.
Then my computer stopped working, and 7.0 beta came and went before I
was back online.

So I would say that for quite some time, the 6.x "released" branch and
the 7.0 "alpha" (and maybe beta) trunk were developed in parallel. There
were of course an extraordinary huge number of new features in release
7, and it needed quite some testing "in the wild" before Bram felt ready
to release it.

As for the future, I'm not privy to Bram's plans, but until 7.2 gets
"released" I wouldn't be surprised to see additional 7.1 patches being
published if serious bugs came to light.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Wethern's Law:
        Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups.