On Tue, 25 May 2010, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

And no one forced you to defend this feature.

True, nobody is forcing anybody to defend the feature, but what do you expect to happen when you complain about it?

Why does everyone have to come in and say basically the same thing in response to my opinion?

Why do you have to state, and re-state your opinion in the first place?

It’s not like I’m suggesting that it be removed.

Again I have to ask: Then why did you complain at all?

To me it seems like you're implying that since it can't be perfect--by YOUR definition of perfection, for YOUR use cases--that it shouldn't be there at all.

I’m just stating the claim that what you really want is real version control, not a half-assed form of it.

I am looking forward to the persistent undo feature, and no, "real version control" is _not_ what I want; I have access to various version control systems, and I do use them, but I still want _this_ feature in Vim.

Yes, I agree that there will be problems, and that it's yet another feature, and so on. It still has merit, and considering it's #4 on the voting page means that a lot of people think so.
(http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php)

Version control has its place, and this feature has its place. Just because it can't always be shared doesn't make it "useless," as you stated in an earlier reply. (Of course, you also said "only a bit useful" in another reply--which is it?)

- Christian

--
Christian J. Robinson <hept...@gmail.com>