On Feb 15, 8:30 am, "MacDonald, Stuart"
<stuart.macdon...@christiedigital.com> wrote:
> 64-bit Windows versions (Win 7) contain a bunch of filesystem
> redirections so that 32 bit apps can believe they are on a 32 OS and
> be happy, and 64 bit apps get the same treatment. What you are seeing
> is almost certainly a result of those redirections, as vim is a 32-bit
> app.
>
> I'm not a Windows programmer, but I understand there are special new
> windows calls that will give the raw situation if the app really wants
> it.
>
> A couple of quick
> links:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384187(v=vs.85).aspxhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365743(v=vs...

Thanks, that does shed a light on things. I thought something like
that might be going on.

I see the following:

"32-bit applications can access the native system directory by
substituting %windir%\Sysnative for %windir%\System32. WOW64
recognizes Sysnative as a special alias used to indicate that the file
system should not redirect the access. This mechanism is flexible and
easy to use, therefore, it is the recommended mechanism to bypass file
system redirection. Note that 64-bit applications cannot use the
Sysnative alias as it is a virtual directory not a real one.

Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP:  The Sysnative alias was added
starting with Windows Vista."

Unfortunately I'm running XP 64-bit, not Vista or 7 just yet.

The pages you link say that "Disabling file system redirection for
longer periods can prevent 32-bit applications from loading system
DLLs, causing the applications to fail." What if we add an option to
64-bit Windows Vim to disable the redirection? It could even
automatically set the $PATH to include the 32-bit directories before
their 64-bit counterparts so that system files continue to load
properly, but anything not found in the 32-bit directories will be
looked for in the 64-bit ones.

And of course all this is *intended* to be transparent to the user :-\