On Feb 16, 10:33 am, Ingo Karkat <sw...@ingo-karkat.de> wrote:

> To me, this is too little of an issue (and, as this discussion
> showed, it's already difficult to actually detect the proper underlying root
> cause from the symptoms (blame Microsoft for that)) to warrant a special
> implementation and option in 32-bit Vim.

What if, instead of an option, we add an optional argument to
system()? Or is that too weird, to have a Windows-only argument to a
function? I like this because the MS docs say the redirection should
only be suppressed temporarily, and this would allow that. I don't
like it because a user might want to use :! or :r !{cmd} instead of
system(). But I don't think we normally want users to set the option
and leave it set, unless they also tweak their path to search in the
32-bit directories along with the 64-bit ones.

Actually I don't think it's a big issue on modern Windows systems. I'm
on XP 64-bit. Starting with Windows Vista, supposedly you can use a
special path alias to get to the non-redirected folders. Also, XP 64-
bit is not widely used, and I imagine they've worked out some of the
missing apps in the 32-bit folder with Vista and later. I don't like
"you're out of luck if you don't use 64-bit Vim" but I suppose I can
accept it if it works in Vista and later.