On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:27:22 PM UTC-6, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> On 14/11/13 03:06, Ben Fritz wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:14:20 PM UTC-6, Daniel "paradigm" Thau
> > wrote:
>
> >> Attached is a patch to add an 'autotextobject' setting which will treat
>
> >> undefined text-objects like quote text objects, using the provided
>
> >> character as bounds.  For example, with this setting if a user enters
>

> >> "di," with the cursor between two commas, the text between the commas
>
> >> will be removed.  This is very useful for editing lists.  Similarly, if
>
> >> one is composing TeX being able to quickly operate on the area between
>

> >> dollar signs is useful.  If one is editing snake_case_variables, being
>
> >> able to do a quick "ci_" is also nice.  The key here is that it happens
>
> >> on-the-fly with all as-of-yet-undefined objects without requiring the
>

> >> user consider every possible character he/she would be interested in
>
> >> ahead of time.
>

> >> Outside of documentation and adding the setting itself, the it is only a
>
> >> few additional lines of code.
>

> >> I've wanted this feature for a while; if there is anything else I should
>

> >> do to help get it upstreamed do let me know and I'll see what I can do.
>

> >> - Daniel Thau
>

> > I cannot get this patch to apply using either whatever "patch" utility is
> > installed on Solaris or GNU patch on Windows. Can you please post in a
> > different patch format? No matter how I tweak the patch file, and no matter
> > what I put for the -p value, I cannot get it to apply. The best it does is
> > tell me the patch looks like a unified context diff and then ask me for a
> > file to patch.
>

> It looks like something that ought to apply with -p1 starting at the top
>
> of your Vim source directory tree (with the parent of src/ runtime/ etc.
>
> being the current directory)

Yeah, that's what I tried first. Didn't work.

> but I didn't try to see if it works. I have
>
> the impression that it was made by "git diff" or somesuch after
>
> converting the Mercurial repository to git form.

That was my thought as well.

> You might try "hg
>
> qimport" (with the mq extension enabled),

Don't have it and can't install it on the Solaris machine. Does that work if
the directory is a zip downloaded from Github instead of a real repository? My
workplace blocks all outgoing Hg, Git, and SVN connections.

> and if it doesn't work at
>
> first try, you may want to remove the "index" lines in the patch.

I tried that too, for the patch utility.