On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:45:43 PM UTC-6, Daniel "paradigm" Thau wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:06:25 PM UTC-5, Ben Fritz wrote:
> >
> > I cannot get this patch to apply using either whatever "patch" utility is
> > installed on Solaris or GNU patch on Windows. Can you please post in a
> > different patch format? No matter how I tweak the patch file, and no matter
> > what I put for the -p value, I cannot get it to apply. The best it does is
> > tell me the patch looks like a unified context diff and then ask me for a
> > file to patch.
>
> As far as I know that's a fairly standard unified format patch against the
> latest Vim from hg (7.4.91).  I tried creating one with "git diff" (as Tony
> cleverly surmized), "git format-patch", as well as good old fashioned GNU diff
> on Linux with the "-u" flag to make a unified format patch - all three
> versions came out more or less the same, baring email boilerplate from git.  I
> managed to apply all of them with GNU patch against the latest Vim from hg.

It applied cleanly on my Ubuntu machine back home. Thanks for the info, I'll try
again tomorrow at work.

> Some googling around makes it seem as though Solaris's /usr/bin/patch may not
> know unified diff format.  See if you have a /usr/bin/qpatch on your system
> and try with that.

Ugh, good to know. I'll look for that utility at work tomorrow, or failing
everything else just apply the patch by hand. It's pretty small.

> Although that does not explain why GNU patch on Windows
> didn't like it.

Probably because GNU patch on Windows needs Windows-style line endings, but only
for the lines that are not part of the actual hunk changes. I tried tweaking
the patch to add a few Windows line endings but only managed to get GNU patch to
crash instead.

> I'll try and make a context format with diff -c later for you in the next few
> days if need be.

No need, I'll generate it myself if I must. Sorry for the trouble.