Excerpts from Diego Viola's message of Sun Feb 23 09:29:16 +0000 2014:
> I would like to start by saying that I admire your work on Vim, I've
> been using it for quite some time now and I really enjoy using Vim
> every day.
For a long time quite some things did bother me. They don't affect
regular users only editing texts. But they do affect programmers who
want to write fancy extensions. There are "workarounds", such as
vimproc, vim-addon-async (eg for async communications), but at least the
  -async workaround is a ugly hack. sample features it provides:
  - ruby debugging
  - php debugging
  - ruby/scala/python repl with completion
I'm not going into details. the wiki link below lists more (please add
or edit if you think I'm wrong - you can do so)

I personally get annoyed always when not having touched ~/.vimrc and get
vi instead of vim (without file name completion  - I really think such
things should be fixed - who is using vi behaviour for what reasons?

If you want some vi behaviour it is the time to tell tarruda about what
you care.

Another simple use case is: :ruby and :py commands cannot be interrupted
by ctrl-c like (viml) - and the viml implementation is based on gtk
event loops (gui) which also runs resize viml autocommands arbitrarely.

Of course you can workaround it - but being ablte to abort an infinite
loop you wrote by accident is helpful - or if a script takes too long
for whatever reasons.

tarruda will put if_* into separate threads (I hope he'll succeed) -
and that might fix such small things.

So there are quite a lot of "weak" reasons summing up IMHO.

I've posted about this list earlier:
http://vim-wiki.mawercer.de/wiki/topic/in-which-way-does-vim-suck.html

Bram is right: In current state Vim does get most use cases done
"reasonably well". In fact it would have been me starting such a
crowd funding project if I would have been satisfied with C/C++ (But I'm
not).

There are alternatives, eg rust: rust-lang.org - but I'm unsure how
stable it is at the moment (eg the release doesn't compile the
rust-csv library at http://www.rust-ci.org/projects/). That's why I
personally limited myself to writing down what I'd like to change.

For a lot of users neovim might not change too much - but for those who
want fancy features it could make a big difference - if tarruda gets
things done the way he described.

Some of you may remember my thread and my page: http://mawercer.de/vim.php
I forwarded all people to tarruda who either filled in this form or told
me that they'd assist. So those about 5-7 people will get contacted by
him hopefully.

Despite all flaws Vim is still the editor of my choice.
Patching is a lot of work, rewriting would be a lot of work,
alternatives exist (eg Yi, written in Haskell) - so finding "one true
upstream" without splitting the community is not simple.

Is it worth the effort? Depends on your use cases - It might be that Vim
lives as long as the linux kernel - so the future might be even longer
than its past - who knows? Then it will pay off for sure (IMHO).

Was it the first fork? No, See YZis short description here:
http://www.freehackers.org/VimIntegration
(YZis dropped VimL only supporting lua - and most Vimmers depend on a
lot of viml plugins ..)

I hope that NeoVim will succeed - and that we don't split community too
much.

Marc Weber