> In my opinion the way forward is for enough people to start reading
> the code, patiently and diligently, in their own rhythm.  Once there is
> a critical mass of developers who actually understand the code,
Which will never happen because those people today who want to code
might no longer choose C for good reasons (for such a large project)

And more than that - starting with Vim',s code base is a huge
undertaking. Rule of thumb: Reviewing code takes 50% of the time it took
the author to write !

(Which means a lot of time -> nobody can do this in his/her spare time
IMHO - without sacrifying family personal goals and the like)

Thus its even more important that we try to turn Vim into kind of
"business" model - because "specialization" is the engine of todays
world - even more for complex software like Vim.

Libraries such as libuv just do that: they forward the task of having
unique interfaces to a central place - and often its a good idea.

I asked in 2010 whether Bram would be willing to spend more time on Vim
if he got payed (didn't get a reply that time):
reference: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/vim_dev/43b6gsHh4Ok
If he had I would have tried starting crowd funding campaigns that time.

And that's why I hope that tarruda turns this into a business (for
everyone) - so that he (and others) can keep working on their code
plugins / parts of vim.

Whatever the outcome will be - we'll be smarter afterwards :)

What did I learn from the mailinglist recently?
The more the merrier. The usual problem is that people have to give up
to make a living (eg ensime project), quote from its readme:

  "A quick note on status: Events in my life have conspired to give me
  less free time to work on ENSIME."

And this is happening to a lot of open source projects (wasting a lot of
time of those people who invested some time on such - eg my writing the
first ensime frontend for Vim - which I had to give up for time/money
reasons, too). What tarruda is doing is the right thing - and I hope
that he creates kind of market place for proposals/ people joining them
(offering funding) / and programmers saying "for this money I'll get the
job done".

Then we'll have a healthy community (IMHO).
Again - you are free to think differently.

I'm pretty sure that tarruda will break a lot of things (by accident).
But there is still a chance for paying off in the long run.

Marc Weber