On 25 February 2014, Jan Larres <li...@majutsushi.net> wrote:
> LCD 47 <lcd...@gmail.com>:
> >>
> >> This sounds like a good idea in theory, but I don't think Vim's
> >> current development model lends itself to that. How do you
> >> determine if someome "actually understands" the code?
> > [...]
> >
> >     You don't.  It isn't relevant, the goal is not to give merit
> > bages, but to actually evolve as a group.  From this point of view,
> > the process (how the patches are submitted, who gets to say what
> > goes in and when, and so on) are just details.
>
> But it's not just details. That's the point. A flexible and
> transparent development model (transparent as in "people will be able
> to gauge the success of inclusion of their patches, or at least will
> receive official feedback in a reasonable amount of time") is crucial
> for motivating potential contributors. How would your suggested
> evolving concretely improve things otherwise? People will just
> magically contribute better patches at some point?
[...]

    I was actually pointing the other direction.  If I were more
knowledgeable of the code, I would be more inclined and / or able to
give meaningful feedback when something like the multithreading patch is
posted, rather than shrug it off as outside my comfort zone.  Apply that
to a number of regulars, and you'd get an actually functioning group.
It's only at that point that it would make sense to start talking about
improving the process, fork the project, or whatever else you see fit.

    /lcd