On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 9:11 AM, Kazunobu Kuriyama <
kazunobu.kuriy...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The terms "with darwin" and "without darwin" are very confusing.  There
>> is no help for "darwin". Cleaning that up sounds like a good idea.
>>

> OK, I'll add some explanation on the darwin feature to os_mac.txt, and
> make links between that and the terms.

I seem to remember, from a while back, that "disabling darwin" has a bigger
effect than just disconnecting Vim from the macOS clipboard.  Something
about it messed up (believe it or not) the precomposition (or lack thereof)
of unicode, particularly when one did something like ":r !some-cmd".  I
think there was a report about this on the vim_mac list a long time ago.

Still, prior to making the suggested list, I think we should first remove
> the code relevant to Mac OS 9 and the Carbon GUI.  Please allow me to
> reiterate them:
>
> version7.txt:108 (2005-12-06, 241a8aaa48):
>     "The support for Mac OS 9 has been removed."
>

> src/configure.ac:2231  (2010-07-14, 164fca39bd):
>     "AC_MSG_RESULT(auto - Carbon GUI is outdated - disable GUI support)"
>
> They are backlogs overdue.
>

>> How about Carbon?  On my Mac air it appears not to work, Quickdraw.h is
>> missing.
>>

> They say that Carbon wasn't updated to support 64-bit.  So current Carbon
> Vim is the one only for someone who wants to run a 32-bit Vim 8.0 in a
> 64-bit environment for one reason or another.  I'm definitely the last
> person of this kind.
>
> And, as you noticed, our build system hasn't maintained in a way to
> support it.

I think Carbon Vim was destroyed in three phases:  First, the Carbon code
> was alienated from the codebase when the darwin feature is merged there on
> 2010-07-14. Next, OS X 10.8 has deprecated most Carbon APIs on 2012-07-24.
> Lastly, when OS 10.9 brought us a breakage regarding Cabon.h and
> AvailabilitMacros.h, we made an effort to maintain the Cocoa code but no
> effort for the Carbon code at any rate.
>
> IIRC, we haven't received any report, patch or request on the breakage
> relevant to the Carbon code so far.
>
> in conclusion, unless someone is willing to work for that, we are no
> longer able to maintain it.  Personally, I think it's nearly impossible to
> restore it.

I think you are underestimating the Carbon build.  The Carbon GUI is only
broken for recent versions of macOS, where there is independently no reason
to ask for it because there is MacVim which is infinitely superior.  There
is no "work needed to restore it", because there is no need to restore it,
because it builds fine on 10.8 and under (and will even run on macOS
Sierra): https://sourceforge.net/projects/macosxvim/files.  As far as I
know it works just fine even on macOS 10.4 and 10.5.

Maybe the reason there haven't been bug reports is because the people that
have a reason to use it are using it on a machine for which it still
works.  Why would anyone be using a machine that's 32 bit and with an older
macOS?  Because the machines still work fine for doing work in a text
editor, even though they're not good for internet videos or photoshop.

On top of this, people on 10.7 and less have been ruthlessly dumped by
MacVim.  (You can bet it won't be long before the trigger-happy MacVim devs
dump 10.8 and 10.9).  This means those people would have no Vim GUI
whatsoever if you dump the Carbon GUI.  (The X11 GUI on the Mac is worse
than nothing, which is not Vim's fault, but is because of the X11
emulators.)

It may be that when all is said and done Carbon should still be dumped
anyway, but it is not true that (a) nobody uses it, or (b) that nobody
*could* use it, or (c) that keeping it would require a lot of work.

-Manny