tendim wrote:
> Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.
>
> A question though: If my ideal system folder is, say, 900kb and my
> floppy only holds 800kb, how do I get all of the System folder files
> to the RAMDisk?  Do I have to do a "two stage" load?  I.e.:
> - Load up as much as I can the first time (including finder)
> - Reboot off of the RAMDisk
> - Copy files from the 2nd floppy to the RAMDisk (I.e., AppleShare
> software, or LaserWriter software)
> - Reboot again
>
> ??  I'm confused how the system folder works; I thought everything had
> to be in there *at startup*, and anytime you added stuff you had to
> reboot the machine.

Early systems, designed for floppy disks, had the ability to re-assign
the system from one drive to another.  That is you could copy everything
over to the RAM Disk and then tell the System to use the RAM Disk
System.  From then on it uses the RAM Disk System, Finder and other files.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA