--- Clark Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Early 68030 machines, IIci and IIsi and others, use
> sync-on-green.  Most
> latter monitors do not support sync-on-green.  While
> you can get an adapter
> to use these monitors with sync-on-green, the cost
> of the adapter is often
> more than a used Quadra.

Yeah, like $50 for the Belkin F3H1381 :P But it works,
period. You can get cheaper adaptors for a specific
Mac/monitor combo to convert even a multiscan with
seperate or composite synch to work with an old Mac's
built in video that only does synch on green. Probably
around $20 for one of those, but if you get the wrong
one it won't work. At any rate those only do one
resolution because the built in video doesn't support
multiple resolutions on one monitor. The pins on the
monitor plug are wired together in various ways to
tell the Mac what single resolution it supports.

"Plug and we'll tell you how to play" :) Foolproof
since it's impossible to change to a resolution that
won't
work with the monitor.

Newer Mac's built in video supports other synch
setups and multiple resolution monitors.

In my opinion it's better to get a NuBus videocard
that supports switching resolutions as well as other
synch types. Then you only need a "straight" monitor
adaptor. Cards like the E-Machines DoubleColor SX
use the sense coding to automatically select a fixed
resolution OR if the monitor doesn't have sense
coding you can either set the resolution with switches
or a dial on the card or with software on the Mac or
holding a specific key combination while booting.

Note that the DoubleColor SX was/is a cheap card that
tops out at 256 colors and isn't accelerated, but
supports lots of resolutions plus you can use large
"virtual desktops" on lower resolution monitors by
scrolling around. The control panel for that card
will cause a crash on 7.5.5 or higher if it's loaded
at boot but can be run like an application on 7.5.5
through at least 7.6.1 to use all the features
except for switching resolution without rebooting.

=====
"The earth swarms with inhabitants. Why then should nature,
which is fruitful to an excess here, be so very barren in
the rest of the planets?" Bernard de Fontenelle, 1686
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
My ICQ# 16024947