>Do your 520s have caddy or tray load CD-ROM drives?
>Manual or auto inject floppy drives?

Caddy CD with auto eject floppies.

>If the one has At-Ease installed, you may be able
>to bypass it by changing the SCSI ID and connecting
>it to another Mac so it's not the boot drive.
>Also try disconnecting the drive and doing a PRAM zap
>then boot from a floppy so you can have a look at
>how much RAM it has.

I pulled the drive out and it's a 730 MB Quantum Lightning drive.  Looks
like you set the SCSI id by changing the jumper settings.  Like most
jumpers, it's not altogether clear which jumper to change (although it does
have the different combinations on the drive.)  It plugs into the drive
cable using a slot type (rather than a pin type).  I'm not sure I can find
a cable that will plug into it.

I thought I might be able to change the jumper settings to a different
setting and use an external as a master boot.  I might be able to get into
it that way.  I suspect this is a 16MB RAM chip, as that is what is in the
other machine they left the RAM in.  I do think I have At Ease on one of
the machines.  I'll take a look at that and at doing a PRAM zap.  (I can't
do one with the drive in, since it has the keyboard disabled on boot.)  If
all else fails, I'll just do a clean install and be done with it.

Teri Pittman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]