On Nov 22, 2003, at 06:35 am, Bryan Kattwinkel wrote:

Why should one want to use appletalk when running mac os 8.1 on the
client machine? Appletalk is an inferior protocol that should be
avoided when you have the alternative of IP. The only reason I am
using it is because of my laserwriters being appletalk only and my
personal server (fanless LC running AppleShare 3) also not being able
to share via IP.

AppleTalk is not an "inferior" protocol at all. It is designed for
simplicity and convenience on a local area network, and does the job
quite well. TCP/IP never matched the convenience of AppleTalk on a LAN
until Apple recently introduced Rendevous. Modern servers and clients
support AppleShare over IP, which provides the convenience of finding and
logging into servers using AppleTalk, then actually transferring data
using IP for higher throughput.

AppleTalk and AppleShare IP are in no way the same. Their only similarity is they are both for the Mac OS and made by Apple. AppleTalk is slower and uses older routines it is also very versatile and works over more than one medium (in other similar guises such as LocalTalk). AppleShare IP is a purely ethernet TCP/IP based protocol that is more up to date and complies with TCP/IP networking standards.

As for the Marten:
I am not sure if a Mac 7200 crammed in a IIcx box is standard issue for this list, but that is a different issue altogether.

It's a 7100 - which is the same form cactor as the Mac IIc, Q600 and Q650 - and it's as NuBus as it gets. What is more it also qualifies under the 'once removed' rule, as well as being an upgrade to a machine that this list caters for. It still says Macintosh IIcx on the case, afterall. To add tot hat it's running OS 8.1, which is an OS that should be supported on this list. And finally I'd like to add the 7100 board was not 'stuffed' anywhere - it was, through about 2 hours of hard work with a hacksaw and a set of files, integrated into an expertly adapted case. The PSU, speaker assy., reset/suspend buttons and original plastic drive bay all fitted *without* modification. So there :-P

--
Mark Benson

AIM - SilValleyPirate
MSN - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Visit FlatPackMacs online: <http://fpm.68kmac.com>

"Never send a human to do a machine's job."
                                -The Matrix