AppleTalk and AppleShare IP are in no way the same. Their only similarity is they are both for the Mac OS and made by Apple. AppleTalk is slower and uses older routines it is also very versatile and works over more than one medium (in other similar guises such as LocalTalk). AppleShare IP is a purely ethernet TCP/IP based protocol that is more up to date and complies with TCP/IP networking standards.

Appletalk is a network protocol and not an application, while Appleshare IP is an application (server software to be precise) and not a protocol.
The application Appleshare IP not only handles tcp/ip connections over ethernet, but also appletalk connections over ethernet. BTW it also supports tcp/ip and appletalk over localtalk. And all of this simultaniously if needed.
Correct me if I am wrong.

And while we are at it: in which way is the appletalk protocol more versatile than the the tcp/ip protocol? Maybe in recognizing hardware in the sense that it can see a printer on the network instead of having to be pointed towards it first? I've heard they used appletalk technology in the development of rendez vous (the automatic recognition of third party peripherals by Mac OS X).

As for the Marten:
I am not sure if a Mac 7200 crammed in a IIcx box is standard issue for this list, but that is a different issue altogether.

It's a 7100 - which is the same form cactor as the Mac IIc, Q600 and Q650 - and it's as NuBus as it gets. What is more it also qualifies under the 'once removed' rule, as well as being an upgrade to a machine that this list caters for. It still says Macintosh IIcx on the case, afterall. To add tot hat it's running OS 8.1, which is an OS that should be supported on this list. And finally I'd like to add the 7100 board was not 'stuffed' anywhere - it was, through about 2 hours of hard work with a hacksaw and a set of files, integrated into an expertly adapted case. The PSU, speaker assy., reset/suspend buttons and original plastic drive bay all fitted *without* modification. So there :-P

As I admitted in earlier mail: the 7100cx is a nubus mac and totally obsolete and therefore more or less within the scope of this list.

Marten

--
Vintage Macs list nanny